Pin It button on image hover

Thursday 2 November 2017

Steampunk fun (posted by Claire)

Good morning, Claire here with a couple of mixed media steampunk projects made for the recent shows on Hochanda. I've used stamps from Steampunkery to make this wall hanging and a card.


I began by making the beetle - this stamp is one of my all time favourites! I gave the stamp a liberal coating of Black Soft Form Relief Paste with a spatula and left it to dry - it does take a while so it's important to be patient as if you try to remove it before it's dry it could spoil it. I always leave them for at least 24 hours before trying to lift up a corner to peek and check it's dry. 

Meanwhile I made the other elements. I removed the outer layer from some corrugated card and gave it a coat of black gesso before applying acrylic paint in metallic shades. Once that was dry I used hot glue to attach a scrap of metallic tulle and a lacey border made with the lacy stamp from Steampunkery and kraft glassine. The next layer was made from watercolour card, it was actually a background that had gone wrong so I stencilled some circles on it with gilding glue and added gilding flakes. I used straws for the faux pipework, painted them with black gesso and then metallic acrylic paint. 

Once the beetle was dry I added some colour with silver and gold gilding wax. I painted his shell with blue and green metallic acrylic paint and once it was dry I gave it a thick coat of glossy accents. 


I made this card using acrylic paints for the background - sloshing them on with lots of water and then adding rock salt. Once it was dry I splashed with diluted white gesso before stencilling in the moon using the Seasonal Elements Stencil. I applied gilding glue through the stencil and added lots of sparkly glitter. I also applied a layer of glue and glitter around the edge of the card.


Once the background was dry I stamped the gorgeous airship with versamark ink and embossed with gold embossing powder. I painted the bottom of the image with acrylic paint. To make the balloon, sails and flag I stamped the image with Gold Stazon onto some fantasy film layered with angelina fibres and cut the elements out. It's hard to get a good photo as it's very sparkly but it looks really pretty in real lift.

I hope you're enjoying this months inspiration from the DT. If you've got your stamps yet make sure you share your makes with us on the facebook group!
Claire xx


7 comments:

  1. Stunning projects! Great design and techniques here, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the first project on the show and thought it was amazing, love the second one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two terrific creations Claire and using lots of wonderful techniques which these stamps are perfect for. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fabulous Claire!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Claire, what wonderful creations, so clever your first one, love the pipes made from the straws, brilliant idea.
    Love all the metallic look of the second card, gorgeus image and colours, Kate x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!