Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday 11 February 2015

Chalk and Cheese (posted by Judith)

Hello everyone, I have really been enjoying working with the current stamps of the month, Sketchy Doodle Landscape/Flowers Multibuy, and my samples today are no exception. I wanted to show you the versatility of these stamps, and hopefully I have shown that with the following projects.

I chose to make a set of pastel cards for my first project, and began by masking the top and bottom of the cards, leaving a large strip of the card exposed across the centre. I poured a bit of Acrylic Wax onto a craft mat, and using a piece of cut 'n' dry, I applied the wax onto my stamp. I stamped the image randomly across the card, reapplying the wax to the stamp each time. I cleaned the stamp immediately I had finished stamping the images. Once the wax was dry, I covered the area with Memento ink, choosing soft pastel shades on each card. The wax acted as resist, so that the images were visible through the ink. I removed the masks, and stamped a sentiment onto each card from the Amazing Birthday stamp set using black ink. I stamped some of the butterfly and dragonfly images using Versamark and white embossing powder onto vellum and cut these out, before attaching them to the cards.


My next project was created using a piece of MDF as a base, which I painted with gesso. I added a honeycomb diecut and some lace, which I also painted with gesso.

I embossed several of the sketchy flowers using Versamark and white embossing powder onto a textured card, and cut them out. I added some dark brown die cut pieces, the flowers, and some gessoed metal flowers and butterflies to the board. I layered several of the sketchy flowers up, and added jewellery findings to them, which had been gessoed as well. I sprayed the whole piece with a mixture of blue and lime Dylusion sprays, which I had decanted into mini misters. I wanted a finer spray, without the big droplets that you sometimes get from the normal spray bottles. Finally, I added a bit of gilding wax here and there for a bit of metallic sheen.


I had lots of spray left on my craft mat after this project, so I decided to create a 'mop up' project using some of the left over flowers that I had. So, I dipped a tag through the inks, and also some of the white flowers. I stamped a sentiment from the Rose stem script stamp set over the background using Memento ink. I die cut some leaves from the scrap white card, and added some sari material to the top of the tag.
 I hope that I have given you lots of ideas with these stamps, and that you will have as much fun as I have had. Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

16 comments:

  1. These projects are great. I particularly like your wall hanging. You used my favourite colour combination. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tag. The colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time, different cards, Beautiful. Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, all of these are stunning Judith, I love the note cards and the technique you've used for them. The wall hanging is wonderful and I love the colours you used and it goes for the tag too.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes indeed - lots of ideas and all gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wax resist cards are lovely with their soft pastel colours & the white embossed vellum embellishments. I particularly like the way you added the honeycomb die cut to provide texture for the backdrop of your flowers on the wall hanging. Using brown rather than black for the metallic elements gives a lovely soft 'edge' to the project too. Your tag shows how to maximise the use of materials beautifully & I particularly like seeing the way the look is altered by using white leaves to complement the white of the flowers.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the wax resist effect, and the wall hanging is great

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all these ideas Judith and the wax resist is a great. The plaque is gorgeous and the mopping up on the tag shows that nothing need be wasted. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the simplicity of the card designs

    ReplyDelete
  10. love them all but especially the wall hanging with the contrast of the brown against the blue x Lavinia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your makes, those pastel cards are particularly attractive

    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The new stamps work great embossed! Love the second card; the flowers look like they are floating on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a lot of work in these projects and such an interesting mix of techniques here. Your pastel cards are lovely and subtle. The MDF panel is my favourite and gorgeous. Your use of teals and brown works a treat and such a good mix of different elements all pulled together with the gesso and sprays. Your tag is super. Elaine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saw these beautiful works of art on Pinterest, I really like how you've used the sketchy flower stamps, and how the leaves spread outside the tag.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!